[Valid Atom 1.0] Life With Cake: Eating Disorder Blog: Silent Struggles

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Silent Struggles


Today I feel so grateful for my eating disorder recovery because of the opportunity presented to be of service to others. Today I received an email from a woman I used to teach dance to, now a friend, who confided in me about her silent struggle with an eating disorder. I had no idea. It's one of those things that I can look back at and say I get it. I wish I would've seen it sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 though I guess. The email triggered so much for me...empathy, sympathy, sadness, both for her and for me, as well as gratitude. I feel so lucky to be out of the constant mind-fucks and madness that accompanies eating disorders, and lucky to have someone ask for my experience, strength, and hope. Mostly, it was a reminder of how behind the smiles and facades of happiness that EDs so elegantly wear, we really never know just whom is struggling with an eating disorder in silence.

No comments: